Pedigree Dentaflex Ė Good food? I don't think so.
16 CommentsSunday, 4 March 2018 | Kate
Just a quick blog as I sit here on a Sunday evening catching up on some truly awful (but highly addictive) reality TV – Real Housewives, tell no-one! I feel the need to write about an ad for Pedigree's Dentaflex dog treats that's just been on and made my blood boil, with it's emotional tugging at the heartstrings and truly misleading strap-line. And the cost? Don't get me started.
Looking after your dog's teeth and gums is crucial.
Most dogs will be showing signs of tooth decay and gum disease by the age of three. It's very common and largely preventable. So I'm all up for keeping on top of my dog's oral health. But I'll be damned if I'm going to give Nikita a dog chew containing Dentaflex's ingredients:
Derivatives of vegetable origin, minerals (including 2.2% sodium tripolyphosphate) meat and animal derivatives (including 4% chicken), oils and fats.
The ad ends with the strap-line “see what good food can do” Shame on you Pedigree. I don't consider that little lot to be good food at all. The active ingredient, the mineral which does the job, sodium tripolyphosphate is 2.2%, leaving 97.8% of calories your dog just doesn't need. The rest of the tooth and gum cleaning action is down to the shape, not the ingredients.
So, Pedigree, please stop peddling Dentaflex as good food, it isn't. By all means sell a product to clean my dog's teeth but make the ingredients far, far healthier please.
What's the alternative?
Dentaflex will set you back £156 a year if you take a medium treat and give two a week as recommended. I give Nikita Seaweed & Parsley from CSJ, it costs £11 a year to give it to a medium sized dog which the medium Dentaflex is intended for. Or try ProDen's Plaque Off. This isn't a sales pitch, buy it from anywhere else if you don't want to buy it from me, but if you can consider changing over to a seaweed product, a good one mind, you'll save a packet and your dog won't be eating cheap dog treats you're paying a fortune for.
Is there a similar shaped treat I can give as a chew too?
Yes there is, two excellent dog chews in fact: Whimzees Eurostars - available in two sizes, and Soopa dental sticks. Both the same shape as a Dentaflex or Dentastix chew and far cheaper. Treat your dog, and treat yourself while you're at it.
Read my article on natural dental care for more information.