The summer heat can be terrible for both people and pets alike. Find out some tips on how to help your dog beat the hot weather with these quick and easy tips!
- Use a cooling mat or pad, which provides an instant cool surface that lasts up to 4 hours. It’s also perfect for dogs who cannot go outside because it’s too hot or those who live in apartments where they don’t have access to air conditioning.
- Provide plenty of fresh water – even if you’re home all day, provide at least one bowl of water so your pup doesn’t get dehydrated.
- Load up on fruits rich in antioxidants like blueberries and raspberries – they’ll give them extra energy during the dog days of summer.
- Offer your pup some frozen treats or make your own – you can even try some great recipes.
- Groom the coat to remove excess hair – it’ll help eliminate unwanted insulation, stop them from overheating, and decrease their risk for heatstroke.
- Make sure your pup is wearing proper fitting gear – no one wants to wear a shaggy coat in the summer heat.
- Make sure your dog’s bed is always clean and dry – thick coats can lead to skin problems, so it’s best to keep them cool with an easily dry-able bed.
- If you’re going to be outside for an extended period, make sure your dog is wearing sunscreen and a unique cooling collar.
- If your dog is overweight, try giving him more exercise to help them lose the extra pounds – it’ll ensure they don’t overheat as quickly during those long summer days.
- Installing a pet fountain – it’ll keep them hydrated with fresh, running water that’s always available. These can be small or large depending on the size of your dog and how much they drink, so make sure you’re keeping up with refills.
Are there dog breeds that are more sensitive to heat?
Some dogs, such as Vizslas, require more effort than others to keep them cool and comfortable during the summer. Here are other breeds that are more sensitive to heat:
- Golden Retriever
- Labrador Retriever
- Irish Water Spaniel
- Greater Swiss Mountain Dog
- German Wirehaired Pointer
- English Setter
- Portuguese Water Dog
What pet products exist for helping dogs beat the summer heat?
Cooling jackets, cooling vests, boots for dogs and socks for dogs are a few of the many products that exist to help your pup beat the summer heat.
How do you keep your pet hydrated during hot weather?
By providing freshwater often enough, so they don’t get dehydrated, changing their food to high-quality, meat-based dog food with low carbohydrates, lean protein, and Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. Feeding smaller meals throughout the day rather than one significant intake is another way. And most importantly: keeping them cool and comfortable in a shaded area or inside an air-conditioned home is critical.
Can I bathe my pet in cold water to help cool them down?
Yes, you can bathe them in cold water. But remember to use care when doing so, as this will take time off the life of your carpets. Make sure they don’t ingest any of the water, leading to stomach upset and diarrhoea. The shampoo is not necessary either- plain water is all they’ll need.
How do I protect my dog from the sun to prevent it from overheating?
Pets wear sunscreen and cooling collars to prevent themselves from overheating.
What tips and advice do you have for keeping your pet cool during the summer?
The best tip is to keep them as cool as possible without inflicting too much discomfort, whether that’s inside an air-conditioned home or in a shady area on those scorching hot days. If it gets too bad, wet a towel or a bandana and place it on the back of their neck – they’ll feel much more comfortable.
How can I make a homemade cooling collar?
Soak a facecloth in water, then freeze it into a tray overnight. Once you have ice cubes, put one inside each end of an old sock and tie them onto your dog’s neck.
What are some helpful health tips during hot weather?
Don’t let your dog run around without drinking enough water first. If they’re panting heavily, take them to a cool place immediately and try gently rubbing their tummies. Ensure they have access to fresh water at all times, too, as exercising in the sun can make them thirsty.
How do I prevent my dog from overheating?
Be sure to keep your dog hydrated at all times and discourage them from running around in hot weather or going on exercise while it’s still light outside. If you suspect your pup is overworked, immediately take him to a cool place and gently rub their tummies. Ensure that they have access to fresh water at all times, and never leave them alone in the sun for too long.
Summer heat can be terrible for both people and pets alike. We hope that these tips and advice in this article could help your puppy during the summer heat. Whether you have a large or small breed, there are plenty of ways to keep them cool during those scorching summer days. From cooling jackets to homemade ice cubes, we hope that this article has given you enough ideas so that you’re able to find relief from the heat as well as take care of your pet’s needs too.