Amy Cook
Last Updated

An awful story has just appeared in my local paper about a dog who died on Christmas day after eating a cured ham bone. The nub of the story is, a poor miniature Schnauzer called Burtie, who died on Christmas day after the ham bone his owners bought from the pet section of a store became lodged in his stomach.

Vets couldn’t do anything to save him so the kindest thing to do was to let him go. Two other dog owners have come forward after their dogs became sick from eating the same ham bone dog treat, luckily they both recovered.

It’s an incredibly sad story, and the only thing we can take away from it is to spread the news as far and wide as possible to avoid cooked or cured bones entirely. Raw bones are OK, especially chicken bones, as they’re so soft.

There are plenty of excellent healthy dog treats out there but if you do want to give your dog a bone get a raw one from your butcher, avoid leg bones and make sure it’s too big for the dog to get it in his or her mouth.

Learn How to Choose the Right Food for Your Dog

 

A good alternative to bones is a Stag Bar, which is a deer horn, not bone so will not splinter, just wear down gradually.

Please pass this story on, especially to anyone you know who may not be aware of the dangers of cooked bones.

Check out this alternative: 5 Reasons Broth is Healthy for Dogs

 

Social Share